- 1 This guide is out of date
- 2 Overview
- 3 Requirements
- 4 Basic Setup
- 5 Mechanics Notes
- 6 Planting Layouts
The farming mechanic in Empyrion is fairly complex, and this guide is intended to help both new and experienced players get the most out of their farming operations.
Some useful links:
At minimum, the following are needed:
- a functioning Base that can be left running continuously for at least 35 minutes (real time).
- a Plant Grow Light
- a Growing Plot
- a Sprout of some kind
The last three items can be found in the starting Escape Pod when playing easy start.
In order to start farming:
- Place one or more Growing Plots with the dirt side up (default orientation) on either a Base or Capital Vessel.
- Place the Plant Grow Light on the ceiling above the Growing Plot.
- Place a Sprout on top of the Growing Plot; a seedling will appear.
- Use the interaction key (default 'T') to harvest the plant once it is mature (see Farmable Plants for images).
- One Plant Grow Light illuminates a 3x3 grid of blocks under it; therefore, a maximum of nine plants can be grown simultaneously from one Plant Grow Light.
- Currently (as of Pre-Alpha 5.2.1), unharvested food does not spoil, even with the Plant Grow Light turned off. Also, the Base/Capital Vessel need not contain an active Oxygen Station (CV,BA).
- Warning : Your plant will die if the temperature is under 0 °C.
- Walking on the plant doesn't seem to have any effect.
Depending on your food/material needs, and available space and power, there are a number of ways to efficiently plant a 3x3 farm. Note that the layouts detailed below are neither exhaustive nor optimal for every situation; use them as a starting point for your own farming setup:
Maximize Total Food
To maximize food points with or without additional processing, plant:
If eaten raw, total 360 food points, and if processed into Space Fries, total 675 food points per 30 minutes (real time).